TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .
TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicking Noise from BC Coilovers

4 posters

Go down

Clicking Noise from BC Coilovers Empty Clicking Noise from BC Coilovers

Post by Juice Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

I've had a similar problem before, which turned out to be a loose nut under the damper control knob, but this sound is different.

When I'm driving with the window open on bumpy streets, I can hear a weird knocking or clicking sound ... and since roads downtown aren't the best, it almost sounds like a rattle as I'm bumping down the street.
I didn't notice this when I was in summer mode, but now that my car is in winter mode and raised up, I'm hearing it all the time. I can't tell which corner it's comming from. My guess would be front driver's side, but it could be any or all of them.

The difference with the last time I had this problem is the ride height and before the noise could be heard inside the car with the windows closed and the radio on. This sound is quieter and I don't really notice it when the radio is off (although my exhaust does sort of cover some of that sound).

I'm going to check the damper nut later, but I was just wondering if anyone had any input on what it might be. I'm reading things about pre-load, but I didn't change the pre-load between summer and winter modes, just ride height.

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm running BC Racing BR Series coilovers in a 2010 Lancer. Not sure how pertinent that information is, but thought I'd share in case it helps. Thanks in advanced!
Juice
Juice
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Clicking Noise from BC Coilovers Empty Re: Clicking Noise from BC Coilovers

Post by Zero Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

jack her up and check ball joints? I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of a coil-over system
Zero
Zero
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Juice Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 am

Not sure what I'd be looking for ... I tightened the nuts under the damper knobs, but i could still hear a faint clicking sound (sort of sounds like horse's clopping down the street).

I'll try google for those ball joints. Thanks Zero! Smile
Juice
Juice
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by maxima_tyler Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

i would check two thinks which have caused that type of noise on my car:

1: check tie rods and ball joints are good
2: check if your exhaust has enough play to hit and of the surrounding metal.

my rubber exhaust hangers (stock) are wearing and i can now hear the extra bounce in the exhaust causing it to hit the floor of the car on bumps. going to get polyurethane mounts off ebay to tighten it all up again.

maxima_tyler
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Evolutional16 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm

The only noise I ever had with my BC's was like you said that nut underneath the damper. Like above check all components and fasteners. Also the locking rings, maybe one of them is loose either on spring or sturt perch and causing play.
Evolutional16
Evolutional16
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Juice Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks, I tightened the damper nut, not sure if it made a difference or not as I still heard the noise this morning.
I'm going to get my ball joints and tie rods looked at this weekend, hopefully.
Juice
Juice
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum