TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .
TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protege Build

+8
maxima_tyler
just G
Hydrolikz
FarShark
Nemex6
Zero
BrianV
Salvatore37
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Protege Build Empty Protege Build

Post by Salvatore37 Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:43 pm

So this is going to be my build thread for my newly acquired 2001 Mazda Protege LX that I just recently purchased. It is my daily but I am also going to modify it as well.

Before this car I had a 1996 Ford Contour that I was going to turn into a SVT Replica but just didn't have the heart there to get it to that state, It later died and I acquired a GMC Safari which came from an owner that just didn't care so the engine was on it's way out and I also couldn't find the heart to fix it up. I had always wanted a Protege and Amanda (Nemexsix) helped me out in finding this one!

I bought it for $1,000 and it only had a few minor problems. Windshield has a crack, and it has a leaking radiator but that's really about it. It has had some rust repair but the owner is the original so it's in really good shape. The guy used it for traveling so it does have higher mileage but it's been looked after so I can't really complain.

Amanda is coming out with me later today for the first wash and photo's. I can't wait until her car is done and we can do a mini photo shoot and go for cruises. I have to admit, it was hard to cruise with her before considering my cars were pretty darn slow compared to her MX6 and the fact that it is a manual, she liked to rub that in my face A LOT. I love her car, it's nice to look at and a lot of fun to drive. I am glad we share the same passion for cars and I am happy now that I have a car that I actually wanted but I will still have to get the Protege some power to keep up with her when she decides to rub it in my face again and before she boosts her car... LOL... She always whines about being behind me when going up a hill because she has to down shift because my car bogs out so much. Help me make that up to her by leaving her in my dust! LOL.

Even though it is mainly a daily, Amanda has also shown me that it doesn't have to look like a daily to be a daily and their are a lot of things I can do to make it look nice and run great and still be a daily. She's right! If it's going to be a daily, I might as well make it a fun one that handles well, has some pep!!

Will add more photo's soon and some plans that I have for it.. but for the first little bit, I am going to focus on maintenance and make sure it is ready for the winter. I am not 100% new to cars and the tuning scene but I have been out of it for many years and I am new to Imports so thankfully TTS can help me with it and Amanda knows her fair share as well so I look forward to all the things that this car can become.

Smile Thanks in advance.

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Protege Build Empty Re: Protege Build

Post by BrianV Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Good luck with your build keep us updated! Can't wait to see some pictures Smile
BrianV
BrianV
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:46 pm

looking forward to seeing the progress bud
Zero
Zero
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Pictures as promised Very Happy

Protege Build Pb050130
Protege Build Pb050133
Protege Build Pb050142
Protege Build Pb050144
Protege Build Pb050153

I am super excited to start modding the car. It feels fantastic to drive Smile

I picked up a used rad from the wreckers because money is a little tight right now, but when I can get a new one I will. I just don't want a leaking rad until I can afford a new one. I did order new upper & lower rad hoses though so at least when I can afford a new rad, I won't need new hoses.

My first "mod" was buying a proper license plate holder for the rear and new bolts. LOL.

Amanda pointed out too me that, in her words, " It's JDM yo!! " cause it says, Made In Japan. I think she's a little jealous ;) LOL.

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemex6 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:32 pm

She cleaned up nice!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Nemex6
Nemex6
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:11 pm

thanks Smile

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by FarShark Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Goodluck with the build and keep us updated as you progress.
FarShark
FarShark
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Well we just changed the rad and so far, so good. Don't notice any leaking and the temp is staying where it should be so hopefully this lasts for a while.

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrolikz Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Very clean body for a higher mileage ride. Protege Build 1926791664
Hydrolikz
Hydrolikz
TTS VP

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemex6 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 am

I am happy we found this car and it turned out as nicely as we had hoped. After a lot of searching, a good one was bound to jump out at us.. and I am glad he got something that he actually wanted and can really enjoy it. I can tell he loves driving it, Always has a big smile on his face and is soooo excited like a kid in a candy store. I am happy for him and I can't wait to start modding it with him and see where he wants to take it.

Nemex6
Nemex6
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by just G Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

good stuff! don't see the typical protege rust, which is good!

good luck with the build!

i recognize that coin wash! is that the one off of yonge in Aurora?
just G
just G
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 pm

haha yea, my buddy has repainted his entire protege twice in the 8ish years he's had it (1st re-paint job was done by a fail shop)

Are the 1.4L turbos internals/turbo transferrable to your version?
Zero
Zero
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrolikz Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am

I like the skirt package for the protege speed, and they sound nice as well.
Hydrolikz
Hydrolikz
TTS VP

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Just G: No the coin wash is in Newmarket just off of Leslie St. the rust was touched up so hopefully this spring I'm going to get a new paint job Smile

Zero: there is a turbo kit for my car yes going to do more research and let you guys know:)

Hydrolikz: I kinda want the speed skirt package but there is one I'm looking at as well that I'm looking at Smile

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrolikz Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 am

Whatever you do, please don't make it look like this guys: Protege Build Mazdaprotege5dubtrumpsp

Some people just can't decide we what direction they want to go in, like putting floating rims on a protege with a tuner body-kit? Protege Build 878948377
Hydrolikz
Hydrolikz
TTS VP

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:42 pm

No worries Hydrolikz my car will never look like that lmao EWWWWWW!!!!

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by maxima_tyler Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Hydrolikz wrote:Protege Build Mazdaprotege5dubtrumpsp

baller status right thur

maxima_tyler
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 pm

maxima_tyler wrote:

baller status right thur

lawl
Zero
Zero
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by koi Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 pm

go to my garage and see what magic Zero and Juice have done for my car... -_-' , i hate zero so hard
koi
koi
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrolikz Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:05 am

Will do, now back on-topic everyone.
Hydrolikz
Hydrolikz
TTS VP

Back to top Go down

Post by 10seckid Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Whats all on the wish list as far as mods go?
10seckid
10seckid
TTS Rookie

https://www.facebook.com/10seckid

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am

So far I have a number of things planned but nothing completely set in stone.

Exterior
Mazdaspeed Lip Kit (Or another kit, I have not really decided yet)
Mazdaspeed Spoiler (http://www.spoilerdepot.com/images/items/Mazda-Protege-Spoiler-3211.jpg?maxWidth=600)
Mazdaspeed Wheels but also not sure on these as I know they can be rather expensive to obtain and I want a nice stance and I am not sure I can get the look I want with those wheels. I really like deep dish.
Maybe some carbon fibre exterior accents. I am not sure if I will get a carbon fibre hood, trunk... or the window pillars but I do want the carbon fibre side mirrors.

Interior
Maybe a carbon fibre dash kit, I really like that and I want to eventually go with a black conversion from the gray for the whole interior so we shall see.

Audio
I want a touch screen and a max of 200w sound system. I don't want anything super loud or expensive, just something that will sound good and I can enjoy without a big price tag attached too it. I'd like something that when Amanda and I are just hanging out at timmies or something we can watch a movie on the screen or watch downloaded episodes of family guy or 80's cartoons.

I want to paint the car a white pearl, It's a Mazda colour but I do not know what the exact name of it is. It's not like the white pearl with the pink or purple in it.. it is more like a silver metallic flaking in the white.. I think it looks really nice and I really want to do it that colour.

I also want to do a manual swap on it and looking to get maybe 250-300whp out of the motor. I think I will have to get a turbocharger for that as I do not think I can get that without one.

Other than that, mostly some bolt on stuff, I am not sure about the exhaust system because I do not want it to sound farty like a civic. That really bothers me. So I would rather just leave the exhaust alone until I can find something I really like or if turbocharging the motor will help deepen the tone and it won't sound bad.

I know the plans will probably change as money comes in and I am ready to buy stuff. I went to Nextmod on the weekend and was inquiring about some future mods and pricing. So I kind of have an idea of what I want to do but it will certainly take some time to figure out.

I might be missing some stuff that I want to do but I am sure it will come to me eventually. Oh I really want to be able to corner really nicely, I don't want any sway in the body at all and I do want to go on the track eventually as well. Amanda suggested that I get a good set of coilovers but I am not sure. It is a daily driver but I plan on not driving it in the winter in the near future if I can help it.

What do you guys think?

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by 10seckid Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 am

Interior and exterior is completely up to you not my cup of tea I just take everything out and make it fast....as far as power goes 300 shouldn't be hard but getting trannys swapped and sorted out is going to be a little bit of work...for exhaust u can always install a wastegate as an external dump....when the turbo builds up a certain amount of pressure it dumps out a wastegate mounted on the exhaust....quiet and peaceful for normal driving but will open up to provide sufficent air flow when going into boost! Get a turbo kit for the piping plumbing and manifold ... A meth kit for cheap Insuarance the best head gasket money can buy and some arp studs to hold it in place and it'll make 300 with ease.

Making it turn is my present personal battle....weld everything possible to eliminate frame flex get short travel springs to eliminate as much body role as possible and turn up the compression to make it firm. Keep in mind too stiff with tires that don't stick will result in bouncing, slipping and potentially spinning.

A smart friend once said hellaflush and hellapractical is very hard to achieve at the same time....best advice I ever got.

Good luck and post often I look forward to the build up!

10seckid
10seckid
TTS Rookie

https://www.facebook.com/10seckid

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvatore37 Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I was able to get more stuff done to my car over the past little while. I think I mentioned that I bought the intake boot from Avante Mazda and was able to install it that day and it got rid of the engine light that was on, which I am happy to see. It has not come back on since then.

I have been getting the car ready for a safety and stuff. I just have it on the temp stickers for now, on my second one since money has been sort of tight and have not really had a chance to fix what needed to be done. I am going for the safety & emissions on Monday morning so hopefully it will all be said and done this week. I am hoping it passes emissions no problem.

Went and had the windshield replaced today, nice to see something new instead of a big crack going across the bottom of it.. it had a bunch of stone chips too so it was needed.

Other than that not much as been done really.. just trying to get everything done for the safety and emissions and then once all that is out of the way I will be able to start getting some aftermarket stuff for it.

Amanda picked up some parts for her car and attached to a piece of pipe she needs for her exhaust is a muffler. I have been wanting to change mine since I got the car and this one is well... free and it looks like it is not that old so I am probably going to use it on mine for a bit. It is a Ractive muffler .. it is a cannister but does not have a silencer. I do not know how it is going to sound but if it sounds bad, I will get a silencer for it i guess and hopefully it does not sound like a fart.. I really hate that sound. I am keeping the original resonator so hopefully it won't sound raspy.

That is about it for my car right now. I have some pictures of the boot install and will post those up when i figure it out. haha

Salvatore37
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Infamous Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 pm

both you puttin in work , cant wait to see the final results.......if there ever really is one when it comes to modding cars
Infamous
Infamous
TTS PREZ

http://www.torontotunersyndicate.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next