TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .
TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Storage

+4
Derty Sanchez
Infamous
08v6
_-Night-Shade-_
8 posters

Go down

Winter Storage Empty Winter Storage

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:29 am

Hey guys, it's that dreadful time of the year again. I'm currently looking for a place to store/work on my car during the winter as I have no garage of my own. If anyone has something or knows someone then please let me know, I would very much appreciate it!
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Winter Storage Empty Re: Winter Storage

Post by 08v6 Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 am

One Year My Brother Had more Cars Then He Knew What To Do With, So He Took His Project car And Put It In A Self Storage Unit.....He Just Got One That Was Big Enough And Had A Power Outlet, Brought His Car There With His Tool Box in THe Trunk, And Plugged In A Small Space Heater....By The Time You Finish Eating A Happy Meal The Place Is So Warm your In There In A Short Sleeve Shirt. I Cant Remeber How Much It cost Though, I Dont Think Much.
08v6
08v6
TTS Rookie

http://www.standardautowreckers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:15 pm

08v6 wrote:One Year My Brother Had more Cars Then He Knew What To Do With, So He Took His Project car And Put It In A Self Storage Unit.....He Just Got One That Was Big Enough And Had A Power Outlet, Brought His Car There With His Tool Box in THe Trunk, And Plugged In A Small Space Heater....By The Time You Finish Eating A Happy Meal The Place Is So Warm your In There In A Short Sleeve Shirt. I Cant Remeber How Much It cost Though, I Dont Think Much.
Storage units that size cost an arm and a leg, plus they don't allow you to do anything other than 'store' your stuff.
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Infamous Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

wosrt case , just buy a car cover and wrap your car for the winter , atleast it wont have any snow or ice on it
Infamous
Infamous
TTS PREZ

http://www.torontotunersyndicate.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 am

Infamous wrote:wosrt case , just buy a car cover and wrap your car for the winter , atleast it wont have any snow or ice on it
That option won't let me work on my car. I do have a car cover. This is a last resort.
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Wow I was just going thru the same thing with my car I just got a month ago I searched and searched. I got a car cover at first junk. Then at Canadian tire only if u have the space a 17ft long 10 ft wide with a peak height at 9'9 ft heavy duty steel frame triple layer water proof cover. It amazing was on sale for 199$ there's always diffenrt sizes on sale each week Mines on grass and it came with grass ancors concrete would need a different ancor. Look in to it.
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

So what's better for winter leave car on the ground or on jacks for the winter I'm storing it on grass in a portable garage.what other not obvious things should I do to prep for the winter.
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Juice Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 pm

If you're going to store the car like that, I'd probably suggest jacking it up.
I left my previous car on my driveway most of the year and the tires lose air pressure, so if you don't want to damage the rims, jack the car up. Just to be safe.
If your jacks are going to be on the grass, maybe put some plywood or something under so they don't sink into the ground.
Juice
Juice
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for the tip bro
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 am

Lots of little issues need to be addressed when storing your car. If you don't jack it up you need to at least roll it around once in a while so that you don't develop any flat spots in the tires. It's not ideal though as you shorten the life of your springs if they stay in the same position (compressed) for a prolonged period of time. Leaving it on grass is not a good idea as the moisture will still get to it and promote rust.
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I hear that when a car is on the ground the suspension is in neutral position And when u put it on jacks the suspension is being pulled in a bad way i don't but just what I heard. I was thinking of cavering the grass with a tarp or somthing would that help moisture.
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:58 pm

The Derty Sanchez wrote:I hear that when a car is on the ground the suspension is in neutral position
Neutral = uncompressed. From a physics point of view, positive force = compressed, negative force = pulled/stretched out. The latter two are what minimize the spring life. By jacking the car up you would keep the springs in a most neutral position as possible.
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Lol well that sums it up I guess jacks are the way to go thanks bro I try them this year this will be my first time putting a car away for a winter thanx
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by phuknrht Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 am

1) Having it on jack stands where theres moisture in the area could promote some rust (over time, not just a winter) as the water/moisture just sits between them, but not a huge concern, i just throw a diff set of rims & tires on mine and over inflate them, never lose much pressure anyways over a winter
2. Steel wool in youre exhaust tip, keep rodent form climbing in and making a nest, sounds stupid but youre should see what a compressed mouse looks like in an engine lol
3. throw a box of moth balls under the car, just on the ground, helps more with keeping rodents away
4. FUEL STABALIZER!!!
5. do NOT apply parking break, can seize to the rotor, chalk your wheels if on the tires, obviously not going to roll away on jack stands
6. good idea to keep your battery on a charger (hundreds available at Canadian Tire, C-Tek (best ones), Battery Tender, Eliminator), whether you leave it in the car or bring the battery inside for the winter is up to you
7. Wash and wax before covering is kind of a no brainer

feel like im forgetting something, but thats all just off the top of my head, if i think of anything else thats important ill post it.

P.S. Yes I'm still alive guys, just been busy and dealing with some shit, hope all is well in car land!

Last edited by phuknrht on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
phuknrht
phuknrht
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Evo Killer Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

Great Tips .. you sayed everything I was going to say
Evo Killer
Evo Killer
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks man I've been delaying but it's time now :( this will be my first time doing this so thanx again for the info
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:34 am

Well here is what happens when you don't store your car in time:

Winter Storage Main.php?g2_view=core

Luckily I was able to find a garage and drove over once the snow melted.

Winter Storage Main.php?g2_view=core

If anyone is interested in following the progress and what I'll be doing over the winter then keep checking my worklog, the link is in my sig.
_-Night-Shade-_
_-Night-Shade-_
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:18 am

Well got the car all ready for thewinter alright but is there anything I should do before I start her up this weekend or just pop in the battery and start
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ruckusx2 Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 am

i'd charge battery (if needed)
maybe put some octane boost-take the car for a drive & refill the gas tank full
cheque tire pressures & wash her (if needed)
then you should be good to go.
ruckusx2
ruckusx2
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Derty Sanchez Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Cool sounds alot easier than putting it away lol thanx
Derty Sanchez
Derty Sanchez
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down