TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Welcome to Toronto Tuner Syndicate
TTS represents the Toronto tuner scene as a whole . No matter what other club you rep or ride you rep we have a spot for you in TTS . Take a minute to check out our club sponsors and don't forget to register for full TTS content .
TORONTO TUNER SYNDICATE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

after market leds and load resistors help.

4 posters

Go down

after market leds and load resistors help. Empty after market leds and load resistors help.

Post by Yuriy Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I didn't wire up my load balancing resistor for the led turn singles (they blink fast, I like that, that's why I decided not to wire them in).
However after a little while the passenger side factory leds in the side mirror stopped working, is that because they aren't getting the required amperage due to the fact that the aftermarket leds are hyper-blinking.
If I wire the load resistors to my aftermarket leds should that fix the factory ones?
does that make any sense?

can that blow a fuse in the fuse box?
I am pretty sure the oem side mirrors are leds, and not bulbs...and leds can't burn our from that, but bulbs can?
Yuriy
Yuriy
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

after market leds and load resistors help. Empty Re: after market leds and load resistors help.

Post by Yuriy Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Yuriy
Yuriy
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

after market leds and load resistors help. Empty Re: after market leds and load resistors help.

Post by Boosted BigBird Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I really have no clue but the headlights look amazing. Adding the resistors may help your issue but also check all your connections i guess.

If anything get a multimeter and check whats going to the side thats working and the side that isnt working.
Boosted BigBird
Boosted BigBird
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by maxima_tyler Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 pm

thats weird that only one side isnt working.. i dont know much about electrical, but i would think that if it were a power issue (like you said, not getting enough amperage now) that it would have affected both mirror signals. check to make sure you have everything wired in properly, or perhaps you accidentally cut a wire on that side without knowing..

hopefully some electrical guru's can jump in with technical answers Lol

maxima_tyler
TTS VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianV Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am

Yeah thats the problem with LEDs you have to run the proper voltages and balance it or you just burn the boards out. Adding aftermarket LEDs where you didn't have them before is often a lot more hassle than its worth. Try switching back to stock and see if your mirror lights work then. If not, replace the mirror boards and try it again with everything stock. Once you have that working again check your voltages and match the stock to led voltages with load equalizers. If your signlas blink fast you will damage something eventually. Once you get the balance right you'll still want to check for fluctuations once in a while and ensure you're pulling proper loads all the time.
Some people have good luck with LEDs some don't. Personally I'd stay away from em because they Will eventually cause problems. In any case good luck and try not to get too frustrated with it
BrianV
BrianV
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuriy Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I was doing some reading, and it seems the vast majority of people are misinformed. Hyper-flashing is harmless, and will not deteriorate the life of leds. Also my original concern with load resistors getting really hot (to the point of bubbling the paint inside the engine bay)was valid and should be generally last resort. Please do comment on that if you think otherwise I'd like to know.

I have not cut or stripped any wires thus far in my install, and don't plan on it. Everything was pretty much plug and play.
I did a few tests after work, and yes my passenger side mirror's leds are not working, don't know why. It could or could not be related to my instal, as I have had a streak of bad luck with my car ever since I started modding it.
Yuriy
Yuriy
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianV Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 pm

I never said it would damage the LED's. The damage/problems come from the other parts of the system. I've had it happen 2x in a row for that very issue so you can believe it or not, up to you I suppose. Maybe my car is more sensitive to mucking about with its electircs I don't know a risk you take modding right Smile. Not to mention hyper flashing Usually means a dead bulb which the police can pull you over and check for. IMO if you have hyper flashing you want to do anything you can to stop it.

Its very rare for load resistors to get hot enough on a flasher bulb to do any damage. Usually that will only happen under a constant uninterrupted load for several minutes, ie most often when you have aftermarket led brake lights and hold the brakes down for a long period. Now if you have a 'cheap' load resistor that has no heat sink then you Might get into heat issues if you flash your lights for an extended period but even then as long as you dont secure the resistor some how to your body its unlikely.
BrianV
BrianV
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuriy Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I think I know what happened, please tell me if it's so.
At one point I reconnected the battery, then I forgot to disconnect it when I was grounding my hid fogs. While grounding I yanked out all the grounds on my passenger side for a few minutes, could that of shorted something on my side mirror?
Yuriy
Yuriy
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuriy Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Brian, thanks for all the great info and feed back.
One question, can I mount the resisters with double sided tape?
Yuriy
Yuriy
TTS Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianV Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

ooooo :( Yeah a grounding like that can do some damage, Definatly possible. That happened in my brothers camaro and the ground was only loose not even completely detached but it shot out a brake light instantly.

You can use double sided tape yes, but if possible mount to in interior section, like a frame section unpainted, as opposed to a body panel. If you have any high temp silicone that would work too and give you some extra protection. With mine I have them bound up in ceramic fiber cloth then taped it up. I've no worry about heat with that setup : )
BrianV
BrianV
TTS Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down